No Waiting

Need I tell you that we ADD folks are not the best time managers on the planet?
Indeed, speaking for myself, I always seem to be the last one out the door. My wallet mysteriously moves itself, and my keys wander away all by themselves. I never turned in a school assignment early. Ever.

Know that people in your life are waiting for you to finish things. Your wife or girlfriend is waiting for you to pick up the mail, go to the store, take books back to the library, or massage her feet. There are perfectly valid reasons you have putting off your next dental exam. Again.

In order to make amends for those times where our friends, family or coworkers have waited for you, I propose that you declare a "No Waiting Day". And the sooner the better. It works like this:

MUR: "Vicki, I'm declaring a "no waiting day". Anything you want me to do comes first. Anything you need you need me to do goes to the top of my list. And I will do it right away."
VIC: " (Long audible sigh) I love you, I want you now."

Get ready for action. And a word of advice, don't say it, unless you mean it. When you hear the request, you say, "NO WAITING". You hop right to it. Cheerfully, I might add. This will be seen as an act of love, which it is.
"What's in it for me?", you may ask.
You mean besides the appreciation, affection, and gratitude from the one's you love. It is equivalent to a direct deposit to the relationship trust fund. Regular deposits to this fund are always a good idea. Believe me, we make enough withdrawals.

Another point. It is important as a person with ADD to "own our own farts." In other words, we need to acknowledge when we have been sloppy, or absent minded . It helps us practice taking responsibility without falling into a deep shame pit. It feels good to take point without having to take a hit for messing up. My beloved loves it when I show awareness of a habit that impacts or inconveniences her. In this case, we are focusing on waiting. But I will revisit "owning your own farts" another day.
Coming Vicki, No waiting!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't bug Me

How To Stay Interested

Find your keys, Buy food, Stay Married