Find your keys, Buy food, Stay Married


I step away from the keyboard for two minutes to get coffee and whoa, two years go by.  Sorry, I had hoped to be a little more consistent with ADD Dude.  Can’t remember if I ever got the coffee.  That’s what happens when I set my supports aside, run out of meds, and abandon the structure I created to keep things on track.  

Learned my lesson right?  Just knuckle down, “get ‘r done”. Even today, I’ve already flitted around the house, displacing the blog to snack, shave, feed the cat, and wash the lawn chairs. I don’t even own any lawn chairs. And when did we get a cat?   

IMPORTANT ISSUE AHEAD
My wife told me the other day that she would like to take my ADD and kick it down the stairs sometimes.  She wants to put on heavy boots and stomp it until it begs for mercy. And I can see why.  She has to wait, time and again while I dawdle, procrastinate, and forget things.  These episodes intrude on our day.  That’s right, it’s her day too.
Signs of the Problem
  • ·        Forgetting, misplacing objects. EX:  I lost a hat while on a weekend trip in Bali. I also happened to lose my favorite Gerber folding lockblade, and keys to our hotel room.  I replaced the hat, only to lose it within three hours. That was a new record.  (Did I mention that I ran out my meds).  
  • ·        When your beloved is giving you “tone”. Don’t tell me you don’t know what tone is. And it’s probably well deserved for forgetting to buy the toothpaste, T.P., (or whatever) after forgetting, better still, losing the grocery list- again.  I hate it when that happens.
  • ·        Breaking promises.  You don’t do the things you said you would. That creates a fracture from which trust, and integrity leak out.  Guess what?  Not sexy. That does not get you any closer to the boudoir.  By the way, it’s not her job to remind you.
Guys, listen up. Think of SOS.  You need some structure to stay organized. Decide what is important to you and when you will do Z, Y, and Z.   Get a PDA, or weekly planner. Whatever system you use will take time to refine. Just keep using it.
Next you need opportunity for your interests and ways to renew.  Life is more than managing tasks, things, and chores. If work eats your brain, you have to schedule brain replacement time. You decide: music, sports, books, etc.
You need support.   This can be social (friends, phone calls) , visual (time schedule, post- it notes), environmental (desk arrangement, tray for wallet & keys).  You may need some coaching.  That can come from a friend, a professional, and even medical support. That depends on how much support you need, and if other health issues exist.

WIIFM (What's in it for me)? Good things can happen when you get curious, and get some help. You get a cookie. Apart from not being a leaky vessel, there are other benefits.
  • ·        Your partner will adore you
  • ·        She will want you now
  • ·        You will know where your stuff is 
  • ·        You will not spend so much time in the dog-house
Well, carry on fellow dudes. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.   If you want to flirt with danger, don’t write things down. Do things whenever you want. Go it alone. BTW, my wife happens to be a therapist/ coach.  I’m a lucky man.
See www.outrageousvisons.com 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't bug Me

How To Stay Interested